Last Saturday, yet another suspected terrorist attack took place in Europe when a man plowed down several people in Modena, Italy. Now the identity of the perpetrator is known, and the attack has reignited debates about immigration and integration.
After driving his Citroën C3 into a dozen people and crashing into a shop window, Salim El Koudri, an Italian citizen of Moroccan descent, got out of the car and started brandishing a knife. The 31-year-old was overpowered and restrained until police could take over and arrest him. Eight people were injured, four of them seriously. Two women, aged 55 and 69, had their legs amputated.
In hindsight, authorities have ruled out terrorism, but according to Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi, the case highlights challenges concerning integration and social hardship and stresses that it cannot be dismissed as an isolated incident. He says investigators need to fully examine the factors behind the attack and claims that social marginalization and perceived discrimination may have played a role.
READ ALSO: VIDEO: Multiple People Run Over in Car Attack
“He might have been driven by resentment connected to a feeling of having been subjected to discrimination,” says Piantedosi, warning that investigators are still working to determine the full motive behind the attack.
He believes the incident raises profound questions about integration, identity, and marginalization, especially among certain second-generation immigrants.
“I am bullied, marginalized, and live in a racist country,” El Koudri reportedly said when he was arrested.
He did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, but authorities are investigating whether he had taken medication.
The Italian authorities have announced that yesterday’s car-ramming attack in Modena by Salim El Koudri was not a case of terrorism but due to “mental health issues”
???????????????? pic.twitter.com/G4yardYJSn
— Visegrád 24 (@visegrad24) May 17, 2026
Dislikes Christians
According to local authorities, El Koudri was diagnosed with a personality disorder and showed frustration over his work and social situation. In 2022, he was treated for what is described as a schizoid illness. He is also said to have previously made derogatory comments about Christians.
On social media, Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini called the man a “second-generation criminal” and renewed demands for stricter immigration policy. At the same time, opposition parties have criticized attempts to use the case to tighten immigration laws.
Both Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and President Sergio Mattarella have visited the victims of the attack.
@elonmusk @TRobinsonNewEra
This is the capture of the muslim who car-attacked today in Modena (Italy). Notice: no police, no one of the officers involved, just a simple brave Italian man who put a risk his life to stop this assassin “invader”#stopmuslim— HannunakX (@HannunakX) May 16, 2026
READ ALSO: Record Number of Immigrants in Europe
